Philosophy and Motorcycles

Philosophy and motorcycles are two of my favorite things in life. This blog will be bits of wisdom gleaned from a misspent youth and an adventurous dotage. People who like/love wisdom or motorcycles, classic or modern versions of either, are welcome to visit and comment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I have been married to the same lovely woman for decades. We have one son, two cats, and live in rural Wisconsin, USA. I ride and rebuild motorcycles, and I am semi-retired. Favorite bikes are Yamaha XS650, FJ1200 and Ducati 900SS. My wife is a home care nurse. I am a Myers-Briggs INTP. She is ESFJ. Our son works at the Apple store in downtown SF and is teaching English as a second language in San Francisco, no grandchildren.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ring neck Yamacrane seen, bugs return.


I was out at the garden listening to public radio and notice that not only were all the insects returning, they were carrying little signs demanding that we integrate the vegetables and not segregate the beans from the tomatoes. The bugs don't respond well to right wing talk or leftist talk. Maybe I should just ignore my son's green advice and spray the darn things with some industrial strength toxin and be done.

On another front I made some progress today on a 1975 Honda CB500T. This is a genuine 5k mile barn find. Actually it was chained to a fence when I first saw it but the owner said it had resided in a garage for decades. Thankfully no one has gotten hands on the wires, chopped, bobbed or otherwise mutilated it. It did have an old Wixom style fairing that I ditched prior to doing anything else to it. If I had to depend on it for transportation I would put the fairing back on it but up here on the mossy side of the trees the weather is too fickle for a bike to be only transport for a man in his dotage. The basic lines of the CB500T are quite nice. The tank is classic shape. Unfortunately the color is awful. Since the collector value isn't too high I may paint it a better color than the dark olive quasi, or queasy, military yuck. Even new that Honda choice wasn't my idea of a good color for a motorcycle. It might be some two star general's idea of snazzy but to me it was one of Honda's mistakes.
The bike has many signs of its low mileage and I am hoping I won't be surprised by unseen issues. I will post a picture of it soon. Any ideas for color schemes will be appreciated.

Tomorrow the insect wars continue. The conservative talk radio helped get rid of bugs but they took a lot of the produce with them and the bees refused to pollenate unless they got a guaranteed 19% and a default swap if the crop got hailed out or some other disaster struck. My ant farm is on slowdown and the ants are threatening to form a union for ant's rights. I might have to squish a few of them under my green thumb to put down that action. It's good being thousands of times bigger.

LN

PS: Spotted a Yamacrane by the ferns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home