Philosophy and Motorcycles

Philosophy and motorcycles are two of my favorite things in life. This blog will be bits of wisdom gleaned from a misspent youth and an adventurous dotage. People who like/love wisdom or motorcycles, classic or modern versions of either, are welcome to visit and comment.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Wisconsin, United States

I have been married to the same lovely woman for decades. We have one son, two cats, and live in rural Wisconsin, USA. I ride and rebuild motorcycles, and I am semi-retired. Favorite bikes are Yamaha XS650, FJ1200 and Ducati 900SS. My wife is a home care nurse. I am a Myers-Briggs INTP. She is ESFJ. Our son works at the Apple store in downtown SF and is teaching English as a second language in San Francisco, no grandchildren.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Three Friday 13ths

July 2012, the third Friday the 13th of the year. Could this be a year of ill omens? For me it has been a year of illumines. I actually learned a thing or three. As I get issues solved on my T3 I am coming to appreciate this machine more every time I drive it. It has a feel of torque similar to the Yamaha 920R, right in the friendly range where most of my driving actually happens. The T3 is very smooth and has a wonderful sound through the SuperTrap mufflers. The fish tails look good on the long and low Guzzi. One of the "lunchbox" hard bags has been repaired but the patch isn't very noticeable. They look appropriate on the chassis. Both tires and suspension need upgrades. The tires are old and hard as the heart of a jilted lover. The shocks remind me of my old Ducati track bike more than touring units. I'm reading articles to see what shocks other Guzzi fans recommend. I have read of people installing other forks on the T and T3 machines but I have yet to find an article that really explains what needs to be done and how to do it. Like other favorite motorcycles the Guzzi remains a work in progress. On a different note I have ordered a single carb manifold for my Honda GL1000. I plan to use a VW carb and will take photos and make notes of how the change works. I hope it will end my constant carb problems with the old Honda. That Wing is designated to be the engine for my Velorex sidecar. The Yamaha XS650 currently in use just doesn't have the power for American style travel. In a small country or an area where it was just a few miles between destinations it would be fine. In America, where we often travel 50 miles for lunch, it is too slow and quirky. The GL should be a far superior road machine. I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot on this one. Time will tell. Meanwhile it is time to get out for a ride before the predicted 100 degree temperature makes it too uncomfortable to move. LN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home